Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Madness of Jake Caulder chapter 57

When O'Reilly and Miller arrived at the hospital, there were security guards at the entrance. They showed their id's and proceeded to the room where Caulder had been held. The door was closed with a security guard posted outside.
       They opened the door, and noticed the carnage with blood everywhere. Hawkins was laying on the floor in just his underwear. "What the fuck?" O'Reilly cursed. "Where the Hell is Officer Cooke?" He went into the hall to question the security guard if he had seen Cooke when he came up to guard the door.
       "No sir. We got the call to lock down the hospital. I came up to the room to see if I could be of assistance, but there was no one here. It seemed strange to me. So I just stood guard, thinking that an officer would be back soon."
       "Shit" O'Reilly cursed again. "Where the hell did Cooke go." The chief inspector went to the nurse's station to see if the nurse on duty had seen Officer Cooke. When he got there, he could tell that the nurse was visibly shaken. 
       "Excuse me, nurse Collins." That was on her name tag. "I'm Chief Inspector O'Reilly and Caulder, the missing suspect, was my prisoner. Do you know where the officer is that was posted here?"
       "No I'm sorry sir, but I don't. The last I saw him was when he came to the station and told me what had happened and to get ahold of security and lock down the hospital. Then, he returned to the room. When the security guard arrived, I went to try to help the poor officer, but it was too late. Oh this is terrible what happened to the officer in that room. What kind of animal could do such a thing?" She looked like she was on the verge of tears but she kept it together. She looked to be in her mid forties and had probably seen her share of emergencies and disasters, but the scene in the room was quite unsettling even for someone who had had her share of trauma victims.
       "I'm sorry you had to see what happened back there." He pointed to the room where Hawkins had been killed. "I have to try to find what happened to the officer's partner. Will you be alright nurse Collins?"
       "I'll be fine. It came as a shock, that's all. I didn't hear anything when this happened. I'll be fine, thank you. Is there anything that I can do to help?"
       "Nothing for the moment."
       Just as Sean was heading back to the room, gun shots could be heard coming from the stairwell just down the hall. He pulled out his gun, and took off in a flash. He almost collided with Sergeant Miller as he came running out of the room, his gun also at the ready.
       "Let's go Sergeant. Caulder must have taken Hawkins' gun and went down the stairs. My guess is that Cooke went after Caulder, and came under fire. Lets hope that we are not too late for Cooke. He's a screw up, but I don't want him shot by that prick. Looks like Jake has stepped up his game. Instead of using a blunt instrument, he seems to be armed with a revolver. I thought that shit head was faking it. He wasn't in a coma after all."
       At that, they slowly opened the door and with revolvers ready, entered the stairwell. "Be ready for anything Alexander. That little asshole is a crafty bastard."
       "I'm ready Sean. I got your back."
       "Yeah, and I got yours, Alex."

       The first thing they saw was blood smeared all over the wall. Another couple of shots rang out and someone started screaming and then there was silence. "Let's move it!" Sean yelled and they both took off at a more hurried pace, not knowing what awaited them, but ready to deal with what fate had in store for them.

No comments: